Saturday, April 28, 2012

Sometimes, I get this nagging voice in my head that the reason those kids down the street don't come to play with J anymore is because he's different, he's Deaf. They were fine until their parents met J... Sometimes I want to make an announcement at the grocery store: "Stop staring at us; yes, my baby has hearing aids; don't tell me you're sorry; don't stop talking to my son after he starts talking and you don't understand his speech or see him signing, he asked you a question; we, they, are just like YOU!" Sometimes, it's really hard to get things done and sign at the same time, like when I'm carrying stuff and trying to have a conversation with L. Sometimes, I wish I could just be fluent in ASL today! Why didn't I learm this earlier when it was just a fun thing for a high school girl to learn?? Too bad I couldn't have seen the future! Sometimes, I think about my life 10 years ago, and that if you had told me I would have 4 children, and 3 would have significant hearing loss, I'd tell you you were nuts. Sometimes, I see a purpose for myself. The divide between Deaf and Hearing is way too wide sometimes. Sometimes, I am overwhelmed with gratitude, and how much I love my children, and my husband... all the time~

No comments:

Post a Comment